- The first I have to start by saying the Apple Pencil is by far the easiest device to lose of all time. Just think about this. How many pens do you lose in a day? Or a week? Lots right? You just get another right? Well think about how you would feel with a pencil that costs $100! Yeah it really makes your heart stop to lose it. I have lost the Apple Pencil at least for 10 times in four days and have had 10 heart attacks. I wish there was some magnetic connection between the two. The only way to keep the two together is to buy some sort of case, which means more money.
- Podcasting and editing. Right now, I have to take it from my iPad Pro, export to iCloud, download to my MacBook Pro or iMac, then edit and upload to iTunes and Soundcloud. I could cut out the middleman by eliminating the iPad Pro. I had to bring my MacBook Pro to work with me today to get this task completed.
- There aren't many options for expandable storage. I have a 2 TB hard drive for my MacBook Pro which basically means that I can save all my RAW and video files. These files tend to be pretty large and will clog up a device fast! I did purchase the 256 GB iPad Pro version but that space will be used up very quickly with a couple 4K videos and I entire day of shooting photos. So that’s a real bummer. iCloud works, but being able to use an external drive would be awesome.
- Adapters! My Macbook Pro has all the necessary ports available. I might be spoiled because of this. I am able to use a USB hub via the lightning to USB adapter and I can read my SD card with the SD adapter, but I lose the ability to charge the device at the same time. Also, USB 3.0 is fast but not as fast as my SD card port in my MacBook Pro.
- I’ve also noticed that I can import RAW photo files easily, but video files aren’t so easy I record in XAVC S format and it doesn’t play nicely with the iPad. It’s an iOS/Sony beef more than anything. I will have to find a solution or record in a different format.
This is the first update. I have a few more days with it. Maybe I will get used to it by then and develop a better workflow. Im leaning towards the MacBook Pro, but I really want this iPad Pro to pull through because I do like it in spite of the limitations I have currently seen. Next update will be on Monday! Stay tuned!
Life is for Living,