I was recently invited out to a Christmas in July event for the Down Syndrome Association of Memphis. I previously covered their Kentucky Derby event (LINK) a few months back, so I was happy to go. I let Maddy tag along as well to teach her about being tolerant of others.
The Christmas in July event was hosted by Lexus of Memphis and featured vendors, food and plenty of beautiful smiles!
Here are some facts about Down Syndrome that you might not have known.
- One in every 691 babies is born with Down Syndrome
- There are approximately 350,000 individuals living with Down syndrome in the US; approximately 1,500 living in the Mid-South.
- Down syndrome is a genetic condition that occurs when there are three, rather than the usual two copies of chromosome 21 in every cell of the body. Instead of 46 chromosomes, a person with Down syndrome has 47.
- Down syndrome affects people of all ages, races and economic levels.
- All people with Down syndrome experience cognitive delays, but the effect is usually mild to moderate and is not indicative of the many strengths and talents that each individual possesses.
The mission of DSAM is to promote inclusion of those individuals living with Down Syndrome as well as providing families and communities with information and education in an effort to change the public opinion about those effected by this genetic condition.
Maddy and I had a great time at the event. We really enjoyed talking to everyone, seeing the different vendors and especially seeing the cool Lexus cars! How can being around luxury cars not be awesome? Thank you so much to Catherine Person for the invitation! We were truly honored!
I encourage you to check out all that Down Syndrome Association of Memphis has to offer as well as when and where their next event will be. Trust me, they know how to have a good time. You can check out their site at www.dsamemphis.org and also DONATE as well.
Life is for Living,